Sunday, February 8, 2015

The Circle of Life

It has been a long while since I have had the motivation or inclination to write anything blog-wise.  I'm not sure if this is because I don't have much to say or if it is something more complicated than that. I really should write more. It keeps things sorted out in my head as well as potentially helping someone in a similar situation.

So...here it goes.

The other day, I was hit by a car. I wasn't badly hurt but from a psychological perspective, I'm still shaken up.  It isn't quite the most life-threatening situation I've ever been. My instincts and training have served me well.  In an instant, however, all of the instinct, training and otherwise could be wiped out.  A depressing thought for sure but it also got me thinking.

Life is an absolute statistical miracle.  I am an absolute statistical miracle.  Pregnancy is a violent and beautiful thing. The amount of things that have to go absolutely right for a baby to come to term is mind-boggling. The energy put forth by the mother and the strength she has to not only birth the child but also stay alive to take care of it seems like an impossibility yet it happens so often that people expect it to go right 100% of the time.

So the fates collided and I came to be.  I survived birth even though I was born prematurely.  For close to 33 years I've survived.  I couldn't even begin to speculate as to the reason why and I'm sometimes convinced that humans aren't meant to know. Maybe the question is simply part of the answer.