Thursday, February 12, 2015

Entertainment

I am admittedly a somewhat isolated person.  I feel awkward around large groups and I never know quite what to say. When I was younger, I satisfied my social itch by spending a lot of time online playing games and hanging out in chat rooms. Realistically speaking, I never really felt social in these situations even though I did end up developing friendships with people I met online. When technology is stuck between people, their relationship tends to be somewhat cold and detached.  There is something fulfilling about spending time with people and physically interacting. 

For the longest time, I believed that I would never enjoy a party much less be the life of one. Then music led me on a path of social interaction.  There is something magical about a group of people coming together to enjoy the same music. There is something even more magical being the person on stage leading people on a journey.

If you asked child me if she would grow up to entertain people she would look at you funny.  Before every gig, I am nervous as hell. After every gig I cant believe people actually like what I play.  When I'm on stage, reality is suspended and nothing matters but the music.  

My relationship with entertaining is paradoxical.  I never really want to be the leader of a crowd but I derive a lot of joy from it.  Ive met incredibly cool people and have traveled more than I could have ever dreamed.  

The best of times, the worst of times.  I wouldn't have it any other way.